The Livelihoods Desk is charged with the responsibility to spearhead people’s sustainable socio-economic development and facilitate disaster risk management. The main objective of the Department to create awareness and empowering disadvantaged men, women and the youth at all levels to undertake practical development which is integral, gender and environment sensitive, sustainable and which promotes justice, and human dignity. The department therefore focuses on working with the rural communities at grassroots levels. Therefore, in all its activities, the Livelihoods Desk promotes the empowerment of the people so that they themselves can actively meets their basic needs and mitigate impacts of natural disasters.
The desk is headed by the Desk Officer, who is seconded by various Project Officers who also supervise and work hand in hand with Field Officers. The current Desk Officer is Mr Franklin Msiska.
- Increased incidences of disasters due to Climate Change
- Food insecurity and malnutrition
- Low income at household level amongst the communities:
- Low access to potable water, hygiene and sanitation:
Thematic Areas as Per the 2016-2020 Strategic Plan
- Food Security and Nutrition
- Environmental and Natural Resources Management
- Water, Hygiene and Sanitation
- Agribusiness and Entrepreneurship
- Disaster Risk Reduction and Management
Past and Present Projects Being Implemented by the Desk